Friday, May 30, 2008

118 Year Old San Francisco Cable Car Number 25 Returns to Service

Cable Car That Survived The 1906 Earthquake Returns To Service

I have a strange confession to make.  I was born and raised in San Francisco and I have only ever ridden on a cable care three or so times, and it was always as a point A to point B  ride.  Kind of like the shoemakers children go barefoot.

Despite this strange statistic, I am fascinated with and in love with the San Francisco Trollies.

I love the classic line from Tony Bennett' "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" when he sings, "Where little cable cars climb half-way to the stars."

That being said, this is a facinating story of a cable car built 118 years ago being completely refurbished for the second time in its life and placed back into service on the Streets of San Francisco

To watch a video click here.





Photo Credit: The Chronicle / Kurt Rogers

No comments: