Friday, June 6, 2008

Go Speed Racer...

I saw Speed Racer last night in a movie theater with my uncle. As anybody who knows me well will tell you, I hate movie theaters and almost never set foot in them because people do really strange and distracting things in theaters, like talk on their cell phone, or text message.


Of course, last night was no exception to the rule. My uncle kept yawning profusely.  I had to put my hand up as a blinder because he was driving me crazy.  Also he kept taking off his glasses because his eyes were watering.  I can't blame him because he loves watching movies, but he had never seen the original cartoon of Speed Racer, so he had no frame of reference.

The thing that really drove me crazy, was there was a family sitting behind us with an infant who was not crying, but kept randomly making loud baby noises.  People, don't take infants to movies!!!!  Also, somebody in the family was literally slurping on a Slurpee and kept slurping it really loud, toward the end of the Icee.  I wanted to jump over the seats and attack the people, who clearly had no common sense or manners.

O.K.  So enough of my ranting about how I can't stand the movie theaters.

Speed Racer was very well done.  It could have been better, but it was extremely true to the original in a way, I don't think I have ever seen a movie made.  Every detail was exact.  The Wachowski Brothers of "The Matrix" fame wrote, directed and produced Speed Racer.


I was amazed because there was not one example of product placement in the entire movie.  Not one.  Speed Racer was not drinking Coke or Pepsi.  I can't remember the last time I saw a movie or TV show devoid of product placement?

I would give the movie a Thumbs Up, if you were a fan of the original Japanese cartoon.  I am looking forward to watching Speed Racer on DVD without having to deal with people yawning loud, babies talking, or somebody slurping a Slurpee.

When I was a little kid, I used to love watching Speed Racer.


Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go!!!!

One thing is for certain about the Speed Racer movie, the props and graphics are incredible looking, and even though the Mach 5 is really cool, the Mack 6 is off the hook cool!!!


No comments: